April 23, 2011

Battery care

We got a new battery on our trip down south last December. The installer did not apply any insulating dielectric grease, so I bought some from Amazon and a battery terminal brush from Sears.

I cleaned the contacts and the leads with the brush and blew away the shavings. Then using a cotton-tipped aplicator I applied a liberal amount of dielectric grease to the terminals. The internet gave me some direction:
 At the high points they touch, and at the low points there are gaps. Dielectric grease will get smooshed in to the gaps, keeping out moisture and electrolytes. 
I applied way too much, but no matter.

Subaru's battery compartment comes with an insulator, so I did not install any additional cold weather gear.
Post a Comment